Starting a blog is so easy that anyone can start it by following these simple 8 steps
How To Start a Blog From Scratch And Make Money?
I’ll try to make it short and to the point but will cover all which will help you to create a full-fledged blog.
I’ve started blogging in 2015 and worked on multiple niches (we’ll cover on this article) and blogging is one of them. Therefore I thought to write an article on “how to start a blog” and hope it will help you.
In a Nutshell
So we have noted down everything to create a beautiful blog and now, we will cover all of them one by one.
1. How To Choose Blog Niche?
What is a niche?
In simple terms, the niche is a topic of your blog on which you are writing. For example, travel, technology, politics, etc.
This is the most tricky and at the same time, a very critical entity of the blogging, which will be responsible for the fate of your blog with respect to you only.
Keep in mind these points while choosing your blog niche:
- Broader the search term, higher the competition, and a rare chance to get in SERP.
- Lower the search terms, lower the competition, and a high chance to get in SERP but also, low traffic due to low volume.
- Your self-interest topic may not add value to the readers, think before going for it.
- Write down at least 10 niches and filter it out.
- Do market research before finalizing your niche.
- To make your blog sustain in the long run, it should be profitable and scalable.
- Your niche should be problem-solving.
You no need to choose a niche that is out of the world. You can choose the already available niche but the content of your blog should add value to the readers.
I have listed below some of the most common blog niches. It may help you to choose your final blog niche.
- Web development
- Pet and Animal
- Education and Career
- Fitness and Sports
Be careful before finalizing niche, some of the niches have a broader scope and it will be very difficult to cover all in it. For example, the “Technology” niche has many sub-niche such as Mobile review, Software/Application, Operating System, Laptop, etc.
Personally, I would suggest going with sub niche is better if you are only one or have limited resources.
2. How To Select Blogging Platform?
When it comes to choosing the blogging platform, a dozen list popped out to your face and you will just get confused about which one would be good for me!
Check out the latest complete list of CMS (content management system) with the market share here.
Back then, I started blogging with blogger.com and it very simple configure everything. You just need a Google account and rest, Google will take care for you whether its bandwidth, hosting, or other related services.
But with all this reliability, it has very limited features such as customization, dependency, etc. If you are serious about blogging, then the self-hosted blog is a better option.
When it comes to blogging sites, there are two types of plan available in the market:
- Hosted (Free & Premium).
- Self Hosted (Free).
Many newcomers into the blogging field, opt free (self-hosted) platform, and start blogging. And after a few months, they may realize it has very limited functionality or feature.
WordPress.com, Blogger.com, Tumblr.com, etc are the free blogging platform and in these plans, your blog name will be set as a subdomain (yourblog.wordpress.com, etc), restriction such as you can’t install plugins, themes and many more.
The self-hosted CMS (content management system) is the best platform. It gives you the ability to customize as per your needs.
You can use your own domain and a web hostig to host this (WordPress) CMS and start writing articles. Domain name will cost you around $10 a year and hosting account a few dollar a month.
3. Register a Domain Name
A domain is your brand name!
The blog will be visible to the audience by the domain name address such as “yourdomain.com” instead of IP address.
Registering a domain name is as simple as purchasing anything online but before proceeding, you should keep in mind these points.
- The name of the domain should be as short as possible.
- The domain name should not be related to specific things (e.g. antivirus.com), you can’t write any article other than related to antivirus.
- Avoid similar-sounding names or almost the same name.
- Try to avoid using numbers.
- If possible, register .com domain name.
Some of the popular domain name registrar list given below:
4. Purchase a Web Hosting Plan
I must say, web hosting is the motherboard of your blog in laymen term as it contains RAM, Processor, Storage, OS, etc responsible to run a blog smoothly.
But one weird thing I have noticed, articles are flooded with specific hosting recommendations only.
I’ll list here managed and unmanaged hosting/server that may help you while choosing the right one.
- Contabo | How To Setup?
- Godaddy | How To Buy?
- Vultr | How To Setup?
- Digital Ocean | How To Setup?
- Bluehost | How To Buy?
- Hostgator | How To Setup?
These are some of the best web hosting providers and you can opt any of them.
5. How To Point Domain Name To An IP Address?
To make live your domain, you need to connect the domain to an IP address. It is a very simple process, you just need to add “A record” under the DNS section in your domain name.
Connecting a domain to an IP address
Some of the popular domain registrar steps links are given below.
7. Write Article And Promote Your Blog
So far you have created your blog which is one time job and ready to write your first article and keep writing, an ongoing process.
As said, creating somethig is easier than maintaining it for long run…
And it applies here in the blogging world as well. Readers are the customer of your blog and to retain them, your content should add value for them.
For better user experience
- Your content should be accessible easily.
- It must speak to the audience, not to you.
- Don’t put too many ads such as pop up, banners, etc.
- Explain in laymen terms for difficult phrases.
- Provide references for validation.
Before publishing your article
Now you have an overall idea of how to write articles.
As an audience, I have experienced most of the top blog keeps everything well maintained. It should have complete fundamental details.
- Homepage: This is the landing page when a user visits your root domain. You can keep it as static or dynamic, it’s up to you.
- About us: This page should explain about your blog, what area you are covering, frequency of articles, who you are, why you have started, etc.
- Contact us: It’s good to have a contact us page, if you truly want to add value to the readers, they should easily reach to you for some additional help, references, and validation related to your niche. You can mention email address, contact form, social media links, etc here.
- Disclaimer: When you write any personal opinion articles or writing with the help of some other sources, you must mention you are accountable if there some discrepancy in the article. It will help you if in case.
It’s not a good practice to leave your article after publishing it. You should respond to your audience’s comments.
To improve your article, take feedback, and make it into feed forward.
Your ultimate goal is to reach to maximum audience and there is two types of promotion available
- Social media platform: You can post your article on Facebook, Medium, Quora, or any other social media platform to reach to the audience.
- Guest Blogging: You can also offer to write articles for any other reputed blogging platform and use your related article links for reference there.
- Bookmarking sites: Submit your article on bookmarking sites, there are plenty such websites such as Reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest, etc.
8 Start Making Money!
The priority of blogging should be creating quality content that adds value to the end-users and later on, earn money through it.
Your blog won’t grow unless you nourish it properly.
I would recommend write quality articles continuously 2-3 months and when your blog gets popular and some potential audience follows it, then you may consider monetizing it.
How you can monetize your blog?
It’s very easy, there’s plenty of options from where you can monetize your blog.
- Run Ads on your blog: It’s no monopoly anymore when it comes to the advertisement platform. Some of the popular text and display ads platforms are Google Ads, Facebook/Instagram Ads, Bing Ads, etc.
- Sponsor a product: If your blog is well recognized, you may get the offer to show sponsored products on your blog and earn money.
- Affiliate Programs: While PPC/CMP ads give you low earning, affiliate programs have great potential to multiply your income. Partner with affiliate program provider and promote their product on your blog, on successful conversion, you will get a commission. Popular platform who offer affiliate program is ShareAsale, Amazon Associate, CJ, etc.
- Sell your eBook: If you are very eloquent on some particular topic and have written a well-detailed eBook, you can sell it in your blog or any other platform such as Amazon and make extra money from it.
There are endless possibilities of making money from your blog, you just need to nourish your blog on a regular basis and parallelly, practice to create a mailing list that will help you when you want to recommend your audience something.